Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hudak No Fan of MMP

The Progressive Right is congratulating Conservative MPP Tim Hudak on his openness to exploring the issue of electoral reform on his facebook site. But it's all smoke and mirrors. Hudak has already come out publicly against the Mixed Member Proportional proposal in the Niagara Falls Review:


"I see no reason to change it." Erie-Lincoln Conservative MPP Tim Hudak said the new system creates a less democratic parliament because it allows for 39 MPPs to be selected by political parties rather than being personally elected by voters. "

Because these MPPs would not be elected by a riding, they would not be accountable to the voters. They would be beholden to the party bosses who appointed them," Hudak said. "I don't think that is a good thing at all.

7 comments:

susansmith said...

This is where the 'look' is more important than the 'do.' Just elect me, and I am really, really, listening. LOL

Jim (Progressive Right) said...

While I respect your skepticism, someone can be opposed to something, but still seek public opinion about it.

I think that's the job of an elected parliamentarian, in fact.

That said, it's hardly smoke and mirrors when both the feedback and his opinion are public knowledge.

uncorrectedproofs said...

Usually politicians seek input in order to craft a position. Hudak is putting the cart before the horse.

Jim (Progressive Right) said...

Usually politicians seek input in order to craft a position.

Not to sound sarcastic, but you must be new to politics. :)

uncorrectedproofs said...

Jim, maybe you'd like to explain again why Hudak is deserving of congratuations? Is it because he is shrewd? manipulative? dishonest?

Jim (Progressive Right) said...

You want me to prove my opinion is right and your opinion is wrong?

I sense going around in circles, coming. I'm more laid back than that.

I've already indicated I respect your skepticism about his motives. Said as much in my first comment.

If you don't think he deserves the kudos, don't offer them to him.

Unknown said...

I really love my member of parliament. I really, really do. At least after the next election I won't have an MPP who is a arch-conservative-ringtailed-doofus.